Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Leek and Potato Soup

I was inspired to try this recipe after my Dad told me that's what he'd make if he had some leeks.  Also called vichyssoise (vish-e-swaz), this creamy soup can be served cold or hot. There are dozens of recipes out there, and they all revolve around some combination of leeks, potatoes, cream and stock. I eventually settled on this recipe by Alton Brown because of the interesting addition of buttermilk and because I am rarely disappointed by his recipes (this one was no exception).


Share contents used:
All remaining leeks (~1 lb)

Other Ingredients:
3 tbs butter
14 oz diced potatoes
1 qt vegetable broth
1 cup Heavy Cream
1 cup Buttermilk
White Pepper
Salt





With the soup complete, the week 1 share is just about used up.  All that remains are the mint plant (currently taking root out in the garden) and the honey which is slowly being enjoyed on yogurt, toast and in tea.  The cilantro and half of the scallions went to friends.

You won't hear much from me for a little while as the family and I are off for a vacation.  The week 2 share has been carefully wrapped and tucked into the fridge for when we return.  I am hoping that the fact this produce is much fresher than what would come from the grocery store will allow it to sit longer without spoilage.  We shall see.  Since I'll still be away next week, I have designated a friend to pick up the week 3 share for his family to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment