Tuesday, May 7, 2013

It begins!

We live in northern New Jersey, not too far from New York City.  This isn't exactly farm country, so I had to spend some time researching the options for joining a CSA.  There were several with chapters in nearby towns, where the farm delivers the weekly shares to a central pickup location, but they were not appealing to me for one reason or another.  The most common issues were inconvenient pickup times, share size too large /small or membership was too expensive.

After striking out with the local chapter options, I turned my search to CSA programs near my office.  My work is about an hour west of home, right in the area of NJ where many of these farms are located.  Eventually I settled on Alstede Farms, who's CSA offered just what I was looking for.

Alstede Farms CSA program runs for 30 weeks, from May 5 through November 24.  I purchased a half share for $720, or $24 per week.  Every week, I will post the details of that week's share along with a value comparison of what the same items would have cost at my local supermarket.  I will also talk about how I plan to utilize all the produce I got that week and share the recipes I use.

Going to be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment